U.S. Justice Department accuses Google of evidence destruction in antitrust case

Google has been accused of destroying evidence such as internal corporate communications in a government antitrust case regarding its search business

February 24, 2023 10:11 am | Updated 10:11 am IST

File photo of the Google logo

File photo of the Google logo | Photo Credit: REUTERS

U.S. Justice Department lawyers say that Alphabet Inc.'s Google destroyed internal corporate communications and have asked a federal judge to sanction the company as part of the government's antitrust case over its search business.

The DOJ asserted in a court filing unsealed in a Washington D.C. federal court on Thursday that Google failed to timely suspend a policy allowing the automatic, permanent deletion of employees' chat logs.

The government said Google "falsely" told the U.S. in 2019 that it had suspended "auto-deletion" and was preserving chat communications as it was required to do under a federal court rule governing electronically stored information.

The DOJ asked the court to hold a hearing and weigh an appropriate sanction.

(For top technology news of the day, subscribe to our tech newsletter Today’s Cache)

"Google's daily destruction of written records prejudiced the United States by depriving it of a rich source of candid discussions between Google's executives, including likely trial witnesses," DOJ attorney Kenneth Dintzer wrote in the filing.

Google said in a statement on Thursday it "strongly" refuted the DOJ's allegations.

"Our teams have conscientiously worked for years to respond to inquiries and litigation," a spokesperson said. Google said it has "produced over 4 million documents in this case alone, and millions more to regulators around the world."

The DOJ declined to comment.

Penalties in circumstances where a judge finds a violation of court rules can include restrictions on what a party is allowed to argue at trial, an order striking a court filing or a monetary penalty.

Google has denied the underlying allegations that it abused its power in the internet search market.

The DOJ's sanctions bid marks at least the second time in the case that the government has sought to punish Google.

Last year, the DOJ alleged Google unfairly kept internal documents away from antitrust investigators, claiming they were protected by attorney-client privilege. Google denied the allegation.

The judge declined in April 2022 to sanction Google for conduct that occurred prior to the start of the litigation in 2020.

The case is set to go to trial in September.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.