22 children in detention camps for foreigners

They are with nine women across three camps, Assam CM informs Assembly

July 20, 2021 12:50 am | Updated 12:50 am IST - GUWAHATI

Assam’s detention camps for foreigners are currently housing 22 children, 20 of them below 14 years of age, the 126-member State Assembly was told on Monday.

Replying to a question from Congress MLA Sherman Ali Ahmed, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said the children are with nine women convicted as foreigners, distributed among the Kokrajhar, Tezpur and Silchar detention camps.

The Chief Minister holds the Home portfolio.

The State has six detention camps for foreigners and they currently have 181 inmates, 61 of whom are declared foreign nationals and 121 convicted foreign nationals awaiting deportation, Dr. Sarma said. The women are in the latter category.

Non-citizens

Replying to another question by All India United Democratic Front MLA Nazrul Hoque, the Chief Minister said 2,551 people were sent to the detention camps from December 29, 2009, to June 30, 2021, after they were declared non-citizens by various Foreigners’ Tribunals. The first detention camp inmate was Krishna Biswas of Goalpara district, he said.

The Chief Minister said 29 declared foreigners have died in the detention camps since 2009 while many were granted bail over the years. “According to a Supreme Court order on May 10, 2019, seeking the release of declared foreigners after three years in detention, 273 were released. Similarly, 481 others were released after another Supreme Court order on April 13, 2020, reducing the detention period to two years,” Dr. Sarma said.

The Foreigners’ Tribunals have so far disposed of 2,98,471 cases of people identified as foreigners and 1,36,173 such cases are pending, the Assembly was told. Of the cases disposed of, 1,18,616 were found to be Indians.

The Chief Minister also outlined the status of the National Register of Citizens in a reply to a question from Congress MLA Kamalakhya Dey Purkayastha.

Speaking orders

“About 99.65% scanning of the speaking orders has been done at the district level while 86.17% quality checking of the speaking orders has been completed,” he said.

A speaking order, spelling out the reasons for rejection, is to be sent with the rejection slip to 19.06 lakh people who have been left out of the complete NRC draft published on August 31, 2019. “Issuing of rejection slips is in the jurisdiction of the SC and the Registrar General of India, which has not yet declared the draft NRC as the final list,” the CM said.

Top News Today

Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.