82,000 evacuated so far; 22,000 still stranded in Uttarakhand

June 22, 2013 11:45 am | Updated December 04, 2021 11:19 pm IST - Dehradun

ITBP personnel make a rope bridge to rescue pilgrims near Gaurikund after flood and landslide in Uttarakhand.

ITBP personnel make a rope bridge to rescue pilgrims near Gaurikund after flood and landslide in Uttarakhand.

Rescue efforts picked up steam in flood-hit Uttarakhand, with 82,000 people having been evacuated by road and air till Saturday. However, 22,000 are still stranded in Rudraprayag, Chamoli and Uttarkashi districts.

According to the Uttarakhand Disaster Mitigation Centre, the Army, Air Force and private helicopters made 150 sorties on Saturday. The copters had rescued 8,831 people till Saturday.

Of the 35 helicopters engaged, 15 belong are private and 20 from the Air Force.

Union Home Secretary R.K. Singh said more helicopters would be provided if need arose.

Anand Sharma, Director, Meteorological Centre, Dehradun, said: “A cyclonic circulation in the Bay of Bengal has induced a low pressure area. Moisture-carrying wind is flowing into many areas in Uttarakhand.”

The weather would be cloudy from June 23 to 25. Lightning and showers would occur at many places in the State from June 25 to 27, Mr. Sharma said.

The Indo-Tibetan Border Police fears the bad weather could affect rescue operations. Nineteen bodies, which were carried in the Ganga from the disaster-ravaged areas, were recovered in Haridwar.

All roads except Rudraprayag-Gaurikund, Joshimath-Badrinath, and Uttarkashi-Gangotri were opened by Saturday evening.

Official reports said all stranded pilgrims were being provided with food, water and medicines. They would be provided free transport to their destinations. They were allowed free access to guesthouses of the State government.

The Railway Ministry has arranged special trains for the stranded from Haridwar to Lucknow, Ambala, and Delhi, and plans to run more specials.

Bhaskar Joshi, Secretary, Uttarakhand Disaster Mitigation Centre, quoting official data, said the evacuation operation at Kedarnath in Rudraprayag district got over by Saturday evening.

Uttarakhand Chief Secretary Subhash Kumar said people in Gangotri in Uttarkashi district and at Ghangaria in Chamoli district had been evacuated.

While 3,000 were rescued from Guptkashi on Saturday, 5,000 still remain stranded in Badrinath.

“Right now our major concern is to evacuate the larger places, small areas will be figured out later,” Mr. Kumar said.

Lieutenant General N.S. Baba said that around 1,000 people were stranded between Rudraprayag and Gaurikund. Union Housing Minister Girija Vyas assured displaced people jobs under the Swarna Jayanti Shahari Rozgar Yojana.

Top News Today

Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.