Indrani Mukherjea hospitalised after chest pain complaint

Indrani Mukherjea had lost her 81-year-old mother Durga Ranee Bora who passed away in Guwahati on Thursday after long illness. She was suffering from dementia, and was not aware of Sheena Bora’s death.

Updated - November 17, 2021 02:30 am IST

Published - October 02, 2015 07:29 pm IST - Mumbai

Indrani Mukherjea.

Indrani Mukherjea.

Indrani Mukherjea, the prime accused in the Sheena Bora murder case, was on Friday rushed to Sir JJ Hospital in South Central Mumbai after she complained of chest pain.

Confirming the development, Dr TP Lahane, Dean of Sir JJ Hospital told The Hindu , “Yes, she has been admitted late afternoon. A team of doctors is conducting medical examination. Only after the examination and some tests are over can we say what is the health problem.” He said a decision whether to keep Ms Mukherjea in the hospital tonight would be taken after the examination is complete.

Ms. Mukherjea is presently in judicial custody along with co-accused and her ex-husband Sanjiv Khanna, and her driver Shyamvar Rai.

The development comes even as a >CBI team led by two women IPS officials arrived in Mumbai on Wednesday and began preliminary investigation into the high profile murder case.

The team consists of Nina Singh, a 1989-batch IPS officer and Lata Manoj Kumar, a 2000-batch officer, both from Rajasthan cadre. The CBI team was expected to meet the investigating officers of the case, visit Ghotavade village in Raigad district where Sheena Bora’s body was dumped in 2012, and reassess the investigation done by the Mumbai police.

The CBI this week registered an FIR naming Mukherjea, and the two co-accused under eight sections of the Indian Penal Code including murder, attempt to murder, and criminal conspiracy. A new section of attempting to cause death by poisoning was added to the charges taking cognisance of Mikhail Bora’s claims that the three accused also tried to poison him when he stayed at the Worli residence of Indrani and Peter Mukherjea. Bora had told the police that on April 24, 2012 when the murder took place, he had arrived at the Worli residence, and suspected that his drink was spiked with a substance. Frightened, he had left the flat, and taken a flight back to Guwahati.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.