One dead after inhaling poisonous gas at pharma unit

Fumes emanated when workers were adding solvent

Published - December 27, 2019 12:21 am IST - VISAKHAPATNAM

A 32-year old person died and two others were hospitalised after allegedly inhaling poisonous gas which was released, in an accident at Vijayasri Organics at Jawaharlal Nehru Pharmacity under Parwada police station limits in Visakhapatnam on Thursday. The victim was identified as Ch. Sridhar (32), a resident of Relliveedhi.

According to Deputy Chief Inspector of Factories K.B.S. Prasad, the incident occurred when the workers were adding solvent to a reactor. Since the product is moisture sensitive, it lead to fumes and the workers inhaled it and fell sick. While one of them died undergoing treatment, the condition of the other two is said to be stable.

Negligence alleged

Mr. Prasad said that further investigation in to the incident was on. The Parwada Police have registered a case.

Alleging negligence on part of the company as the reason for the incident, members of CPI(M), and a few others demanded strict action against the management. CPI(M) members demanded an ex-gratia of ₹30 lakh to the family members of Sridhar, employment to one member in their family and proper treatment to the other injured.

Owing to lack of safety measures by the company officials, the incident had occurred. A enquiry had to be conducted into the incident, demanded K. Lokanadham, member of CPI (M) Visakha District Committee.

General secretary of CITU G. Koteswara Rao said the department of factories and labour department should look into the incident and conduct a proper enquiry.

Criminal cases should be booked against the management, Mr. Koteswara Rao said.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.