Old city tense after noon prayers

Miscreants try to stoke violence by targeting vehicles

Updated - June 22, 2016 04:08 pm IST

Published - November 03, 2012 10:41 am IST - HYDERABAD:

MIM leaders trying to pacify the agitated crowd near Charminar on Friday. Photo: G.Ramakrishna

MIM leaders trying to pacify the agitated crowd near Charminar on Friday. Photo: G.Ramakrishna

Areas around Charminar in old city continued to be tense for the second consecutive day on Friday as some youngsters tried to stoke violence by targeting vehicles soon after completion of noon prayers at Mecca Masjid.

While Mirchowk ACP’s Sumo and another private four-wheeler were damaged by the stone-pelting mobs, police dispersed them using mild force. Large contingents of police were deployed at all sensitive points to meet any eventuality in the backdrop of tension witnessed the previous day over alleged attempt to expand Bhagya Laxmi temple abutting historic Charminar. Security was further strengthened keeping in view the huge congregations at Mecca Masjid for Friday noon prayers. Devotees assembled at the temple offering prayers from the morning. Their numbers swelled by noon when the traditional ‘harati’ is offered.

Even as police heaved a sigh of relief after the devotees left the place, some youngsters remained before the masjid though most of the namajis went away quietly after the noon prayers. As the youngsters remained there, police sent them away.

The group of youth initially headed towards Shahalibanda but the policemen there directed them to take the Moghalpura route. “After reaching Moghalpura water tank area, the mobs began showering stones on vehicles. The Mirchowk ACP M. Kishtaiah was in his Sumo when the miscreants damaged the vehicle’s windscreen. The ACP and his team fortunately escaped unhurt.

Another private four-wheeler coming towards Charminar too was damaged. The mobs were eventually chased away by the policemen. Rumours flew thick and fast that mobs set afire one more car keeping the police on tenterhooks.

A person in his early 30s, Paramesh of Bihar, was allegedly attacked with a knife by unidentified persons while he was going from Kalvagadda in Falaknuma to Shamsheergunj Andhra Bank later in the day. He was rushed to a hospital. Police said they were investigating into the attack and were yet to identify the persons and motive behind it.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.