Burhan Wani's death and a year of living dangerously

Kashmir Valley back to life after shutdown

Back to business: Normal life resumed across the Kashmir Valley on Saturday after a four-month paralysis. — Photo:   | Photo Credit: NISSAR AHMAD;NISSAR AHMAD -

After the shutdown called by separatist groups stretched on for 133 days, Kashmir Valley woke up to a normal morning on Saturday as businesses lifted shutters and educational institutions re-opened to start the next session.

Despite sub-zero temperatures, drivers of the public transport vehicles started their day early. “I am plying my bus for the first time on the Lal Chowk-Soura road since July 8. We are the worst sufferers of the four-month-long shutdown and curfew,” said Abid Rasheed, a driver from Soura.

This was also the first time that private vehicles plied without facing stone-throwers or restrictions by security forces.

The killing of militant commander Burhan Wani in an encounter on July 8 had plunged the Kashmir Valley in a cycle of deadly street violence, with 94 people dead and over 15,000, including security forces, being injured during this period.

Of late, separatist leaders, especially Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Yasin Malik, were facing pressure from the transporters to relax the shutdown to allow them earn their livelihood.

“Pressing concerns of students and sustenance of certain segments of society greatly affected during the last four months have been discussed in our meetings. These concerns have to be addressed while simultaneously carrying our struggle forward,” said the Mirwaiz.

Separatists also appealed to people to use public transport on Saturday and Sunday “to make up for the losses incurred by them.”

The separatists’ full-day relaxation in shutdown calendar, twice a week from Saturday, allowed hundreds of schools to reopen in Valley.

“We have a huge backlog. The government decision to promote students up to Class 9 has put extra pressure to clear the formalities before we start the new session,” said R. Nisa, vice-principal of S.S. Islamia High School in Srinagar.

Kashmir University Vice-Chancellor Khurshid Iqbal Andrabi also chaired a meeting of principals of Kashmir colleges “to discuss the academic scenario in the backdrop of recent circumstances in the Valley.”

The varsity has decided to start undergraduate courses by the end of this month. “The students were advised to visit their institutions regularly to seek redressal of their academic grievances and concerns,” said a varsity spokesman.

Ban on mobile net lifted

The return of normalcy also allowed the authorities to lift the ban, imposed on July 5, on mobile internet services in Kashmir, bringing relief to more than 35 lakh users.

However, internet services on pre-paid users continue to remain barred.

According to police, there was no incidence of violence on Saturday anywhere in the Valley.

However, the police have failed to stop the trend of attacks on Valley schools.

Our code of editorial values

This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Jun 12, 2021 8:43:55 AM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/Kashmir-Valley-back-to-life-after-shutdown/article16659106.ece

In Depth
Children cover their nose as they walk away from smoke shells fired by police during clashes in Srinagar on July 8, 2017.
Curfew in Valley on Wani's death anniversary
Stone-throwing in Kashmir on the wane: CRPF
Burhan anniversary forces early vacation in J&K
Cannabis plants being destroyed in Awantipora.
The anonymous addicts
The pathology of lynching
A CRPF Jawan stands guard outside the Jamia Masjid.
Police officer Mohammed Ayub Pandith lynched outside Srinagar's Jamia Masjid
Kashmir unrest
As turmoil mounts in Valley, policemen at a crossroads
Pellet guns plastic bullets
‘Plastic bullets’ sent to Kashmir
Negotiations the only option, says Geelani
On terror funding trail, NIA conducts raids on separatists
Valley unrest takes a toll on Pandits’ festival
Slain militant Burhan Wani’s successor killed in encounter
"I did not throw stones. I was kept thirsty from 10.45 a.m. till 7.30 p.m."
Fresh protests erupt in Kashmir Valley
Hizb ‘commander’ quits over ideological differences
Kashmir militants kill unarmed Kulgam Army officer on leave
IS, al-Qaeda have no role in Kashmir: separatists
More locals take to militancy in Kashmir Valley
Kashmir’s unending tragedy
J&K suspends 22 social media sites
Women students join anti-police protests in Srinagar
Srinagar, where campuses simmer with anger and anxiety
A grab from the video, purportedly shot in Budgam on April 9, showing a youth tied to an Army vehicle.
Army uses civilian as  shield, sparks outrage
Only 2% turnout recorded in Srinagar
Bypolls in Kashmir: A prolonged protest
It’s school time again in Valley
Tral in a trance over young Shaheera Akhtar’s 498/500
Wani’s kin not paid compensation
J&K suffered Rs 16,000 cr loss during Kashmir unrest
A pellet victim undergoing treatment in SMHS Hospital in Srinagar.
J&K govt. announces ex gratia payment of Rs. 5 lakh to kin of deceased in 2016 unrest
Hope becomes the biggest casualty in restive Jammu and Kashmir
A year of living dangerously
The new abnormal in Kashmir
You are reading
Kashmir Valley back to life after shutdown
‘All pass’ for 9 lakh students in Valley
Students take exams amid shutdown in Valley
Army launches ‘School Chalo’ operation in South Kashmir
Amnesty slams burning of schools in Valley
More than a hundred days later
In 100 days, India’s facade crumbled: Geelani
Gun-snatching in Valley worries Army
Forebodings come true in Valley’s season of violence
3,000 more soldiers deployed in Valley
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh and Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti address a press conference in Srinagar on Thursday. Photo: Nissar Ahmad
Rajnath promises alternative to pellet guns, says he is willing to talk to all
Junaid undergoing treatment in Srinagar on Sunday after being hit by pellets in the chest. Photo: Nissar Ahmad
14% of pellet gun victims in Kashmir are below 15
A ‘Kashmir Ki Kali’ poster wakes world to pellet blind spot
A morphed image of Shah Rukh Khan.
‘Pellet-hit’ images of leaders and stars go viral in Valley
Newspapers in Kashmir refuse to publish
Last week, about 2,800 CRPF troops were sent to the State. Photo: Nissar Ahmad
Centre rushes 2,000 additional troops to Kashmir
The Supreme Court on Friday refused to entertain a plea for Governor’s rule in the strife-ridden State of Jammu and Kashmir.
Behind the rage in south Kashmir
Mehbooba govt. gags media, blocks cable TV
Women too bear the brunt of pellet guns
J&K Education Minister Naeem Akhtar. File photo
Will relook into circumstances leading to Burhan’s killing: J&K govt.
A woman requests a policeman cross the road in Srinagar on Tuesday. A curfew remained in place in most parts of Kashmir for the fourth consecutive day as authorities struggled to contain protests following the killing of top militant commander Burhan Muzaffar Wani. Photo: Nissar Ahmad
Living in denial on Kashmir
A woman and her daughter cross a deserted bridge in Srinagar on Tuesday.
Restrictions are still in force in most parts of the Kashmir Valley after the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani.
PM asks security forces in J&K to exercise absolute restraint
Calming the Valley
Boys walk in front of closed shops during a curfew in Srinagar on Monday. —Photo: Nissar Ahmad
The rise of Kashmir’s rock star ultras
Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif. File photo.
Sharif attacks India after Opposition ire
An injured man at the SMHS hospital in Srinagar on Sunday. — Photo: Nissar Ahmad
19 men injured by pellets may lose vision
Burhan's funeral: Dangerous writing on the wall
Securitymen patrol a deserted street at Maisuma area in Srinagar on Saturday. Photo: Nissar Bhat
Burhan Wani killing: Amarnath Yatra suspended
Stone pelting incidents were reported from many areas of north Kashmir’s Baramulla district. Photo: Nissar Ahmad
Wani’s death triggers fury, 11 killed, 200 hurt in Kashmir
Screenshot from a video of Burhan Wani, commander of terror group Hizbul Mujahideen.
Burhan Wani, Hizbul poster boy, killed in encounter
Screenshot from a video of Burhan Wani, commander of terror group Hizbul Mujahideen.
Amarnath pilgrims won’t be harmed: Hizbul
These young militants are selfie buffs and trendy
Next Story