International

Zarif rules out prospect of war with U.S.

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif.

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif.   | Photo Credit: AP

Iran Foreign Minister says people around Trump are pushing him towards war

Iran’s Foreign Minister on Saturday discounted the prospect of a new war in the region because Tehran opposed it and said no party should be under the “illusion” that the Islamic republic could be confronted.

Tensions between Washington and Tehran have been on the rise as the U.S. has deployed a carrier group and B-52 bombers over what it termed Iranian “threats”.

“We are certain... there will not be a war since neither we want a war nor does anyone have the illusion they can confront Iran in the region,” Mohammad Javad Zarif told state-run news agency IRNA at the end of a visit to China.

U.S. President Donald Trump “does not want war but the people around him are pushing him towards war under the pretext of making America stronger against Iran,” Mr. Zarif added.

Iran-U.S. relations hit a new low last year as Mr. Trump pulled out of a 2015 nuclear deal and reimposed unilateral sanctions that had been lifted in exchange for Tehran scaling back its nuclear programme.

The head of Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guards said on Saturday that the country is currently locked in a “full-scale war of intelligence” with the U.S.

“This is a combination of psychological warfare, cyberoperations, military mobility, public diplomacy and instilling fear,” semi-official news agency ISNA quoted Hossein Salami as saying. “America’s majesty is on decline and it is about to reach its end, and at the same time, we must watch out for probable dangers in such circumstances,” he said.

A letter from the Editor


Dear reader,

We have been keeping you up-to-date with information on the developments in India and the world that have a bearing on our health and wellbeing, our lives and livelihoods, during these difficult times. To enable wide dissemination of news that is in public interest, we have increased the number of articles that can be read free, and extended free trial periods. However, we have a request for those who can afford to subscribe: please do. As we fight disinformation and misinformation, and keep apace with the happenings, we need to commit greater resources to news gathering operations. We promise to deliver quality journalism that stays away from vested interest and political propaganda.

Support Quality Journalism
Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | May 27, 2020 3:25:11 AM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/zarif-rules-out-prospect-of-war-with-us/article27174047.ece

Next Story