Mumbai

Charge sheet filed against 22 in One Coin scam

Navi Mumbai: The Economic Offence Wing-I of the Navi Mumbai police last week filed a primary charge sheet against the 22 people arrested in April and May in the One Coin scam.

“We have filed the primary charge sheet so that the accused who are in custody do not get bail. Of the total 22 accused, six are in custody, while others are on bail. The 60-day period to file the charge sheet was nearly over for the four key accused,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (Crime) Tushar Doshi said.

The police had earlier issued a look-out notice for six people: four Indians and two foreigners.

“The six accused are still on the run. We have identified around 31 bank accounts attached with the scam, and given debit-freeze orders for 19 of them. Around ₹25 crore have been frozen in these accounts,” Mr. Doshi said.

The four Indians have been identified as Sanjay Patel, Tejas Goswami, Amit Nimavat and Sanjay Pandey, while the other two are Mary Beyance from Mauritius and Ereena Andreva Belkinska from Bulgaria.

The scam came to light on April 23, after Commissioner Hemant Nagrale and Joint Commissioner Madhukar Pandey, the then DCP Dilip Sawant and other police officials posed as participants of a seminar on the alleged Ponzi scheme. They arrested 18 people, out of which 14 are now out on bail. Two more persons were arrested in May, and are in custody.

As the company is not registered with the RBI and the One Coin cryptocurrency is not recognised in India, the police said the scheme was fraudulent.

Recommended for you
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor

Printable version | Aug 12, 2020 3:45:47 AM | https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/mumbai/charge-sheet-filed-against-22-in-one-coin-scam/article19166630.ece

Next Story