Students to be made globally competitive

Centres of excellence to come up in State

Updated - March 29, 2016 04:10 pm IST

Published - August 19, 2015 12:00 am IST - VISAKHAPATNAM:

Andhra Pradesh State Skill Development Corporation (APSSDC) in collaboration with German multinational conglomerate, Siemens, will be setting up six centres of excellence (COE) clusters across the State in the next few months.

The COEs will be set up in engineering colleges or universities, and each of the six COE will have five technical skills development institute (t-SDI) to make a cluster.

Addressing a gathering of principals and officials from various engineering colleges located in the three districts of Visakhapatnam, Srikakulam and Vizianagaram here on Tuesday, Managing Director and CEO of APSSDC Ghanta Subbarao, said that the COE will work in the ‘hub and spokes’ model. “We have a young population of about 70 crores, but most of the students who pass out from engineering colleges, polytechnic institutes and ITIs, lack employability skills. The model was developed to bridge that gap and make our students globally competitive and employable,” said COO of APSSDC Avnish Kumar.

“The global requirement of skilled man force by 2020 exceeds 47 millions and to become the global supplier of skilled man force, we need to produce skilled professionals,” Rahul Sehgal of Siemens said.

Partnership mode

According to Dr. Subba Rao, the programme has been just initiated and colleges and universities are being sensitised. “They have to apply and based on certain criteria and audit, they will be selected to run a COE or t-SDI,” he said.

The COE model is being developed on a partnership basis wherein the State Government will fund to the tune of 10 per cent and remaining 90 per cent will be borne by Siemens.

Centres of excellence to be set up by APSSDC in collaboration with Siemens

Centres of excellence to come up in State

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.