Adani group's NDTV open offer closes with 32% subscription

The Adani group launched the open offer to buy 1.67 crore shares, or 26% of equity from the NDTV's minority investors

Updated - December 05, 2022 11:29 pm IST

Published - December 05, 2022 09:55 pm IST - New Delhi

File image.

File image. | Photo Credit: Reuters

Billionaire Gautam Adani's group open offer for NDTV ended on Monday with investors tendering almost 32% share of the media house despite a deep discount to the stock's current trading price.

The Adani group firm acquired almost 53.27 lakh share shares of NDTV from the open market at a price band of ₹294 by the end of trading hours on Monday, exchange data showed.

The Adani group launched the open offer to buy 1.67 crore shares, or 26% of equity from the NDTV's minority investors after it indirectly acquired promoter group firm RRPR Holdings, according to data available on the BSE website.

NDTV shares settled at ₹393.90 apiece on Monday, which was almost 34% higher than the offer price. In the last three months, NDTV shares reached a high of ₹540.85 on September 5, 2022.

The shares tendered so far equal to 8.26% shareholding of NDTV. Together with 29.18% stake Adani group has already acquired, the ports-to-energy conglomerate would have 37.44% - larger than 32.26% holding of founders Prannoy Roy and Radhika Roy.

Markets regulator Sebi had on November 7 granted its approval to the proposed ₹492.81 crore-open offer.

Prior to Adani group's hostile takeover, promoters held 61.45% stake in NDTV. This included 1.88 crore shares or 29.18% held by RRPR Holding Pvt Ltd.

RRPR Holding is the firm that Adani group indirectly acquired in August -- triggering a wider open offer to buy a further 26% in the media company.

Last week, NDTV announced the resignation of Roys from the RRPR board but they continued on the NDTV board. NDTV will give Adani group a footprint in media space as part of its broader diversification spree that has led to expansion of the conglomerate beyond coal mining and ports into airports, data centers, cement and digital services.

In 2009, RRPR, or Radhika Roy Prannoy Roy Holdings Private Limited, took an interest-free loan of ₹403 crore from a firm linked to Reliance Industries, that eventually ended up with a closely-held firm, Vishvapradhan Commercial Pvt Ltd (VCPL).

The loan allowed VCPL to convert warrants into shares of RRPR Holdings, which held a 29.18% stake in NDTV. Adani group in August acquired VCPL and sought conversion of warrants arising from unpaid loans into equity.

NDTV initially said the move was "executed without any input from, conversation with, or consent of" its founders. But late last month the conversion was agreed to and Adani got 29.18% shares of NDTV.

Post takeover, Adani group appointed two of its executives -- Sudipta Bhattacharya and Sanjay Pugalia -- to the RRPR board. It also appointed to the board Senthil Chengalvarayan, a journalist who is an independent director at Quintillion Business Media, another media firm in which Adani bought a stake earlier this year.

Mr. Pugalia, a former journalist, is the chief executive officer and editor-in-chief of media initiatives at Adani group.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.