Today's Paper

Violence continues in Delhi for third day, toll climbs to 13

Curfew imposed in some parts, shoot-at-sight orders issued

Clashes triggered on Sunday by pro- and anti-CAA protesters continued for the third day on Tuesday in northeast Delhi as the death toll mounted to 13. Most of the deaths were due to gunshot wounds, the families of the victims have told The Hindu .

Mobs carrying lathis roamed the streets of northeast Delhi, attacking shops and burning vehicles even as Delhi police PRO M.S. Randhawa claimed that the “situation was under control”. Rioters also opened fire and threw stones at each other.

Late in the evening, curfew was imposed at Maujpur, Jaffrabad, Chandbagh and Karawal Nagar. Shoot-at-sight orders in parts of northeast Delhi were also issued. Also, police sources said the anti-CAA protest site in the troubled area had been “cleared”.

Dr. Sunil Kumar, medical director of Guru Teg Bahadur (GTB) Hospital, said 57 persons had been admitted on Tuesday, taking the total brought there to 150. “About 20 of the injured are in a serious condition. Many have sustained firearm injuries.”

Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal met the victims at GTB Hospital and MAX Hospital and said the “madness must end immediately”.

Earlier, Mr. Kejriwal met with Home Minister Amit Shah to discuss restoration of peace in the capital. “The meeting with HM Amit Shah was positive and it was decided that all parties will rise above party politics and take steps to restore peace,” he told reporters after the meeting. “The police are doing their bit and the HM has assured that whatever force is needed will be provided when we told him about some MLAs saying the police deployment was less than adequate.”

Recommended for you