SPORT

Atherton slams ICC on Ganguly decision

LONDON, NOV. 29. In some scathing comments over the revoking of the two-Test ban on Indian skipper Sourav Ganguly, former England captain Mike Atherton has said the decision of the International Cricket Council smacked of ``India's power at the ICC table.''

Slamming the game's world governing body, Atherton said Ganguly had rightly been banned and in exonerating him, it once again proved that it had ``run out of credibility.''

``Ganguly, rightly, had been banned by the ICC match referee Clive Lloyd because his team took an hour too long to bowl their overs in a one-day international. As someone who sat through India's soporific over-rate during their Test series against Australia, it was a ban long overdue,'' Atherton wrote in the Sunday Telegraph.

Referring to Appeals Commissioner Tim Castle ruling that there were extenuating circumstances; Atherton said did it mean that Match Referee Clive Lloyd was ``asleep'' during the match?

Atherton also brushed aside ICC Chief Executive's welcoming Castle's decision as ``absolute crap.''

Atherton said the Ganguly issue was a small one. ``But, after the ICC's treatment of the ECB and English cricket throughout the Zimbabwe affair, it merely served to emphasise that the game's governing body has run out of credibility.'' — PTI

Recommended for you