NATIONAL

Will hold our ground on the LAC, says Army chief

Army chief Gen. Manoj Naravane on Tuesday said the Army was ready to hold its ground along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Eastern Ladakh as long as it took to achieve the national objectives, and noted that a collusive threat from China and Pakistan existed and India must be ready for it.

“Every summer, for training, a number of People’s Liberation Army (PLA) units come to Tibet and go back once winter sets in. These traditional areas have been vacated. They are well in depth anything from 500-1,500 km away from the border. We should not lay too much significance on these comings and goings. But we keep an eye on them as these are the forces that can be mobilised in 24-48 hours,” he said at the Army’s annual press conference.

“There has been no reduction of troops in the friction areas or where we are in eyeball to eyeball situations,” he stated.

On the threat of a two-front war, he said a collusive threat existed. It was very much manifesting on the ground. “There is increased cooperation between Pakistan and China, both in military and non-military fields. A two-front situation is something we must be ready to deal with.”

He said India and China were working to finalise the dates for the 9th round of Corps Commander talks.

Following the Navy and the Air Force, the Army would soon induct women officers as pilots in Army Aviation. Gen Naravane said he had initiated a proposal last month to enable this.