Trees were posing threat to Gondola

Updated - July 01, 2017 04:33 am IST

Published - July 01, 2017 12:00 am IST - Srinagar

A French team had given clearance for cable car operations after an inspection in April

Freak case:Seven persons were killed and two injured in the accident on June 25.File photo

Freak case:Seven persons were killed and two injured in the accident on June 25.File photo

The inability of the authorities to spot the danger posed by trees that had grown taller than the Gondola in Gulmarg led to the freak accident on June 25, sources said.

Seven persons were killed and two others injured as the cable car they were travelling in plummeted after a tree fell on the ropeway.

Height of trees an issue

Sources close to the three-member probe committee headed by Commissioner-Secretary, Power Development Department (PDD), Dheeraj Gupta, said the height of the quail and fir trees that line the first phase of the Gondola between Gulmarg and Kongdoori had long been posing a threat to the ropeway.

“One of the fir trees, 50 to 60 feet high, with false ground roots was swept away by the wind and it hit the ropeway. It caused the rope to sag, resulting in wobbling and swinging, which derailed the capsule,” a J&K Cable Car Corporation (JKCCC) official said.

“It’s wrong to say that the rope got cut as it can bear over one lakh metric tonnes of weight,” he added.

When the cable car system was inaugurated in 1998, the height of the trees was under permissible limits. But, in the past 19 years these trees grew in height by around 2 to 2.5 feet every year, becoming higher that the ropeway.

Need immediate trimming

Sources said there are around 60 to 70 trees that need immediate trimming. The fir tree that had hit the cable car was nearly 60 feet high, they said.

The JKCCC and the Gulmarg Development Authority (GDA) have been at loggerheads with the State Forest Department over the felling of the trees.

The sources said the treeline gaining height had been pointed out to the State Forest Department by the GDA, but it was not followed up by any action.

A senior JKCCC official said the wind does not pose any threat to the Gondola as hooters are in place. There is also a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) followed while giving clearance to each phase of the ropeway, the official added.

Sources said a team of French company Pomagalski had assessed the safety measures in the first phase in April and had issued a clearance certificate on its functioning.

The Gulmarg Gondola is in two phases.

The first phase between Gulmarg and Kongdoori covers a distance of 5 kms.

The second phase, between Kongdoori and Apharwat, is steeper at an altitude of 13400 feet. The tree which fell was in the first phase.

Report by July 10

Meanwhile, another French team has been invited to assess the damage caused by the accident and issue a fresh certificate to resume the functioning of the Gondola, which has been shut since the incident.

A three-member committee has also been set up to probe the incident. One of the committee members, Superintending Engineer (Mechanical) Vijay Raina, said, “We are inspecting the site again.”

He, however, refused to disclose more details. The committee is expected to submit its report by July 10.

0 / 0
Sign in to unlock member-only benefits!
  • Access 10 free stories every month
  • Save stories to read later
  • Access to comment on every story
  • Sign-up/manage your newsletter subscriptions with a single click
  • Get notified by email for early access to discounts & offers on our products
Sign in

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.