TAMIL NADU

Varsity to host website giving list of blood donors



Special Correspondent

CHENNAI: The department of Transfusion Medicine, Tamil Nadu Dr.M.G.R.Medical University will soon host a website to put online a list of blood donors and their contact details, C.V.Bhirmanandham, Vice Chancellor of the varsity said.

Announcing this at the World Blood Donors Day celebrations on Wednesday, he said it was a special day to thank individuals and organisations that voluntarily come forward to donate blood, without any reward, except the knowledge that their safe blood would save some one's life. However the chances of receiving a safe transfusion or any transfusion vary from country to country.

Statistics indicate that 60 per cent of the world's blood supplies go to 18 per cent of the world's population, leaving 82 per cent of the global population inadequately covered.

Dr. Bhirmanandham distributed mementos and certificates to organisations that had organised blood donation camps and those individuals who donated more than five times. Varsity Registrar K.Shahul Hameed added his words of encouragement to donors. K.M.Radhakrishnan, Officer on Special Duty, mentioned that Workd Blood Donors Day was being observed to mark the birthday of Nobel Laureate Karl Leinstainer, the father of blood transfusion, who also discovered ABO grouping.