Two die in family suicide pact

BANGALORE, DEC. 30. Suicide pact by a family of four led to the death of an HAL employee, Parameshwaran Nair (54), and his son, Rajesh (21), in their Murugeshpalya house in Airport Police Station limits here on Sunday morning.

Parameshwaran Nair, his wife, Shantha Nair, and sons, Rajesh and Sajith, allegedly consumed an insecticide and slit their veins late on Saturday night. While Parameshwaran Nair and Rajesh were dead by morning, Shantha and Sajith were shifted to Manipal hospital in a critical state. Sajith is recovering, while Shantha is still unconscious.

Police said the family took the extreme step fearing public embarrassment and police action over an eve-teasing episode allegedly involving Sajith. In a suicide note, Parameshwaran Nair apologised for the episode, but blamed the stubbornness of Ms. Vijayalakshmi of HAL Quarters in Vimanapura for their act. Ms. Vijayalakshmi, who had lodged a police complaint against the family, is said to have refused an offer of compromise.

Sajith, a trainee engineer in a Union Government undertaking here, is said to have made certain obnoxious telephone calls to Ms. Vijayalakshmi. The Nairs and Ms. Vijayalakshmi were neighbours before they shifted to Murugeshpalya. Finding the number through the caller identification device, Ms. Vijayalakshmi had lodged a complaint against the family. The family members were called to the police station and interrogated. Parameshwaran Nair's attempts to make her withdraw the complaint and go for a compromise reportedly failed.

Fearing imminent police action, Parameshwaran Nair, who had a reputation as an active community leader in his locality, opted for suicide, police said.

On Sunday morning, even as his father and brother, Rajesh, were lying dead in their bedrooms, Sajith called Manipal hospital to rush an ambulance. The ambulance crew were searching for the house, when their neighbour, Sundar, came out to knock at their door. ``I was shocked to see a profusely bleeding Sajith. As I struggled to hold him, Sajith said he had taken poison with all his family members,'' Sundar told The Hindu.

Sundar and his roommates immediately alerted the police and rushed Sajith and his mother to the hospital.

Parameshwaran Nair was an employee of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, Aerospace Division, and President of the K.R.Garden Residents Welfare Association. Rajesh passed his engineering examination with distinction recently. The family hailed from Thrissur District of Kerala.

Police said Ms. Vijayalakshmi had been receiving harassing phone calls from an unidentified person, who used to make lewd remarks. On the advice of the police, she recently fixed the caller identification device to her telephone. Her two daughters, who were at the receiving end of such calls earlier, are now married and settled in Dubai.

Recommended for you