TNSCM programme gets a boost with NABARD funding

July 06, 2018 12:00 am | Updated 03:55 am IST - Coimbatore

A building under construction for the Primary Processing Centre on the campus of the Sulur Regulated Market Committee in Coimbatore.

A building under construction for the Primary Processing Centre on the campus of the Sulur Regulated Market Committee in Coimbatore.

The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) is extending Rs. 378.82 crore to create infrastructure facilities in 10 districts across the State to the Tamil Nadu Supply Chain Management (TNSCM) programme of the Department of Agriculture Marketing and Agri Business.

Deputy Director of Agriculture Marketing and Agriculture Business for Coimbatore and Tirupur districts M.R. Palanisamy said the project cost for ten districts was Rs. 398.75 crore. NABARD was extending 95 % of the total project cost under the Warehousing Infrastructure Fund (WIF). The remaining 5 % would be contributed by the State Government.

The TNSCM programme is being implemented in the following districts (project cost in brackets): Dharmapuri (Rs. 32.45 crore); Krishnagiri (Rs. 97 crore); Ramanathapuram (Rs. 27.28 crore); Thoothukudi (Rs. 35.36 crore); Tirunelveli (Rs. 35.56 crore); Tiruchirapalli (Rs. 28.66 crore), Dindigul (Rs. 26.30 crore); Theni (Rs. 32.67 crore); Coimbatore (Rs. 64.94 crore) and The Nilgiris (Rs. 14.93 crore).

Aim of the programme is to reduce the post-harvest losses to the extent of 5 % of the quantity handled in these facilities, ensure enhanced income to farmers, which in turn results in price escalation and increase in GDP and improve the prices by about 5 %, and encourage farmers to shift from traditional crops/cultivation practices to give them high yield and income, according to Mr. Palanisamy.

Of the seven Primary Processing Centres (PPCs) with grading, processing, packing and storage facilities planned in Coimbatore district, work has begun on the centre being built on 3.4 acres on the Sulur Regulated Market Committee campus at Rs. 10.10 crore.

Mr. Palanisamy said the department was also planning to export the farmers’ produce and value added products directly to foreign buyers, eliminating middlemen. In future, the department would also link Farmers Producers Organisations with online marketing companies such as Amazon and Flipcart, as it would benefit both the farmers and the customers.

Top News Today


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.