TAMIL NADU

Samba paddy in good condition



Special Correspondent

Thaladi transplantation over in Nagapattinam

Nagapattinam: The standing samba paddy crop raised the normal area of 1.03 lakh hectares in the Cauvery delta region of the district is in good condition and the transplantation of thaladi paddy crop (raised as the second crop in the kuruvai crop cultivated area) has almost been completed in the district.

Nearly 70 per cent of the samba crop was cultivated under the traditional transplantation method and the remaining 30 per cent through direct-sowing system, particularly in parts of Vedaranyam, Thalainayar, Nagapattinam and Sirkazhi blocks in the district.

A senior official of the Agriculture department told on Wednesday that the thaladi crop had been raised in the normal area of about 30,000 hectares in the district.

He said that the short-term kuruvai paddy crop was also cultivated in the normal area of 34,000 hectares in the district this year - 24,000 hectares in the Cauvery river division areas of Kuttalam, Mayiladuturai, Vaitheeswarankovil and Sirkazhi blocks and 10,000 hectares in Vennar river division areas of Kilvelur, Thalainayar, Vedaranyam and Nagapattinam taluks.

No damage

Although the heavy northeast monsoon rains had submerged the samba paddy crops in about 25,000 hectares a fortnight ago, the water had receded within a few days causing no damage to the crop.

Most of the farmers have raised the long-duration CR-1009 and ADT-38 paddy varieties for this samba season.