TAMIL NADU

Dies of asphyxiation

KANCHEEPURAM, FEB.26. A sanitary worker of the Kancheepuram municipality died of asphyxiation at the Government hospital in Chennai today.

Police sources said Kailasam (40) of Thirukkalimedu while cleaning the underground drainage near the taluk office here a few days ago, swooned after inhaling poisonous gas. He was admitted to the Government Headquarters Hospital and later shifted to the Chennai hospital.

Lorries seized

In another incident, three lorries, laden with sand smuggled from the Palar at Thimmavaram near Chengalpattu, were seized by the Chengalpattu tahsildar during a surprise check today.