OTHER STATES

Urban bodies to construct dwelling units for poor



Special Correspondent

JAIPUR: The urban local bodies in Rajasthan will formulate small projects for constructing dwelling units for the poor to complete the task in the stipulated short time-frames. The strategy will also facilitate construction of integrated housing complexes in the vertical shape.

The Secretary, Local Self Government, Manjit Singh, said here over the week-end that the construction of dwelling units for the urban poor would be taken up under the slum development and integrated housing prjects. The target groups of both the programmes are the families living below poverty line.

Mr. Singh, addressing a meeting of representatives of 20 municipal bodies from about a dozen districts, said the small projects should be executed to construct buildings of at least two floors. The Centre will provide 80 per cent of the expenditure as grants, while the remaining 20 per cent will be shared between the local bodies and the beneficiaries.

The Director, Local Bodies, O.P. Harsh, said the local bodies of Chittaurgarh, Tonk, Newai, Uniara, Bikaner, Dungargarh, Deshnok, Anta, Baran, Chhabra, Manglor, Sikar, Neem Ka Thana, Bharatpur, Gulabpura, Bhilwara, Pali, Jhalrapatan and Bhawanimandi had submitted their project proposals under the two programmes.

The Project Director, Surajmal Raigar, said the estimated value of the projects was of the order of Rs. 90 crores.