OTHER STATES

Fire breaks out in SCB hospital

Correspondent



Electric short circuit the cause

No one was injured in the fire



CUTTACK: Patients and their attendants scurried for safer places as fire broke out in three departments, including the crowded Outpatient Department of SCB Medical College and Hospital here on Tuesday.

While no one was injured in the mishaps, patients of TB and chest ward went stifling for over an hour as the building was completely engulfed with heavy smoke.

Fire brigade officials claimed that the mishaps took place due to an electric short circuit.

Extensive damage



First the fire broke out in the OPD building which damaged the new ceiling of the building beyond repair.

When OPD fire was brought under control by the two fire tenders that were pressed into operation, smoke started emanating from the nearby building which houses the old dental ward and ENT Department.

Patients shifted

Patients from these departments were soon shifted to safer places and the inferno was brought under control but not before spreading panic among the patients, their attendants and the hospital authorities.

“Except an unspecified amount of property loss, no one was injured in the fire mishap in the hospital”, said the hospital superintendent D.N.Moharana.