Three arrested for abduction, murder of West Delhi youth

Staff Reporter

NEW DELHI: Three persons have been arrested by the West Delhi police in connection with the abduction and murder of the 19-year-old son of a factory owner of Haryana. The victim, Sandeep Kumar, had been kidnapped and murdered on April 7, 2005, itself because he had allegedly teased the sister of one of the accused, Manoj Kumar. Subsequently, however, the culprits had made ransom calls in order to extort money and to mislead the police by giving an impression that a professional gang was behind the crime.

The police said the victim's father, Balbir Singh, owns an iron sheet- milling factory in Bahadurgarh and is a native of Jind district in Haryana. Sandeep Kumar was a student of Class XI and also assisted his father in the business.

Sandeep was last seen on April 7 when at around 6 p.m. he had gone to a juice shop opposite Kirari More in the Nangloi area of West Delhi. When he did not return to his home (45-A Extension 4, Nangloi), Mr Singh lodged a missing complaint with the police on April 8 morning. Though initially the MTNL mobile phone of Sandeep was found switched off, on April 11 Mr Singh informed the police had he had received a call from the mobile number of his on his mobile phone and that the caller had enquired about Balbir Singh and his son Sandeep and disconnected. Thereafter, on the night of April 12 and 13, Mr Singh received another call on his phone. This time the caller demanded Rs 5 lakhs for the release of his son.

Now the police thoroughly re-examined the close friends and peer groups of Sandeep and enquiries and phone calls pointed to the complicity of Manish, a resident of Shiv Ram park, who was subsequently picked up and interrogated. Manish allegedly confessed to making the ransom calls at the instance of the other accused, Manoj Kumar and Chaman Lal, both residents of Extension-4 Nangloi, where the victim resided. The other two were also arrested on the basis of the confessional statement.

It was then revealed by them that they had taken Sandeep on a motorcycle on the pretext of meeting some girls near Gurgaon. There they took him to an isolated spot where they first beat him and then strangulated him to death. In order to ensure that the body was not identified, they removed the clothes, shoes and the mobile phone, before dumping the body in an abandoned building of the Irrigation Department besides the triangular junction of Delhi-Jaipur Highway and Rewari Road. Then later all the three accused decided to make ransom calls to make some money and to confuse the police about the motive of disappearance.

Recommended for you