NEW DELHI

No forcible eviction from Kathputli Colony: DDA

With the Delhi Development Authority going ahead with its in-situ rehabilitation at Kathputli Colony, 50 of the nearly 3,000 families that reside there have agreed to shift to the transit camp at Anand Parbat.

Reiterating that the project was initiated only after consultation with the families, DDA’s Vice-Chairman Balvinder Kumar said on Thursday that only a small section of the residents are protesting against the order and demanding plots instead of flats.

“Despite 90 per cent of the residents being interested in moving to the transit camps and eventually to the reconstructed Kathputli Colony, some of them have adopted different tactics to put pressure on others against shifting to transit camps,” he said on Thursday, hinting at the involvement of vested political interests.

DDA convincing residents

“We will also not force anyone to shift to the transit camps. While they are currently living in slum areas, we are convincing them to move to a very clean area and two years later they will be moved back to Kathputli Colony to modern styled flats,” he added.

As per the provisions of Delhi Master Plan -2021, 40 per cent of the area in such type of rehabilitation scheme can be utilised by the developer, said S.K. Jain, a DDA official. “In this case, however, only 35 per cent of plot area will be utilised by the developer and the remaining 65 per cent will be used to construct 14-storey houses for the residents of Kathputli Colony,” he added. Further, the EWS flats that will be built at Kathputli Colony will measure 35 square metres including a verandah, while EWS flats elsewhere are only between 23-25 square metres, he added.

DDA officials also said that the developer, Raheja, will take care of the cost to build the 2,800 EWS flats, maintenance of transit camps and the cost of transporting the residents to and from Anand Parbhat. “The developer will also maintain the complex until a Residents’ Welfare Association is formed which will eventually take over the maintenance,” said Mr. Jain, about the dwelling units that are expected to be ready within two years.

Officials said a tripartite agreement will also be executed between the DDA, the developer and the residents according to which the developer will have to construct flats in two years from the date of being given physical possession of the plot. Earlier this week, a group of residents moved the Delhi High Court submitting that they were ready to pay the land costs equal to the amount paid by the Raheja Builders – the real estate firm roped in by the DDA for in-situ development at the colony. The matter was adjourned for March 11 without any interim order on staying the eviction process.

Recommended for you