NEW DELHI

Two anti-begging mobile courts opened

Special Correspondent

NEW DELHI: Delhi Social Welfare, Law and Justice Minister Mangat Ram Singhal on Tuesday inaugurated two mobile courts for trial of beggars in the Capital and declared that the city would be made beggar-free before the beginning of the Commonwealth Games next year.

Mr. Singhal said the Delhi Government had also speeded up the process of catching and rehabilitating beggars. Stating that the mobile courts would work under the Bombay Prevention of Begging Act, 1959, the Minister said that they had been started on a trial basis and the Delhi Government was in the process of setting up four similar courts in the days to come.

Mr. Singhal said a Special Metropolitan Magistrate and Probation Officers would be stationed in the courts to deliver quick judgment on the detained beggars. He said 12 vans were already operational in Delhi and engaged in catching beggars. These vans produce the detained beggars before the Metropolitan Magistrate in Kingsway Camp from where they are sent to different beggars’ homes.

At present, the Minister informed, 11 beggars’ homes are being run by the Delhi Government with a combined capacity of lodging 2,200 beggars.

Recommended for you