NEW DELHI

Delhi Cabinet nod for hike in school tuition fee

Staff Reporter

Increase up to Rs.500 per month in un-aided private schools



Schools have been allowed to raise the fee from September 1, 2008

‘Schools have been placed in five categories based on their tuition fees’



NEW DELHI: Taking into account recommendations of the Bansal Committee that was set up in view of the Sixth Pay Commission recommendations, the Delhi Cabinet on Wednesday decided to suggest increase of monthly tuition fees in five slabs ranging from Rs.100 to Rs.500 per month at 1976 recognised un-aided private schools in the Capital. The schools have been allowed to raise the fee from September 1, 2008, and charge the arrears in two instalments.

The Delhi Government had earlier constituted a committee headed by retired IAS officer S. L. Bansal to examine the implications involved in implementation of the Sixth Pay Commission’s recommendations in respect of recognised un-aided private schools.

The recommendations submitted by the Bansal Committee were then examined by a committee headed by Secretary (Education).

Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, who chaired the Cabinet meeting, said schools have been placed in five categories based on their present monthly tuition fees. Schools charging tuition fee up to Rs.500 per month have been allowed to increase it by up to Rs.100; those charging Rs.501 to Rs.1000 may make an increase of Rs.200; those charging Rs.1,001 to Rs.1,500 can hike it by up to Rs.300 per month; those charging Rs.1,501 to Rs.2,000 can revise it upward by Rs.400 per month; whereas those charging above Rs.2,000 can effect an increase of Rs.500 per month.

Stating that suggestions in respect of tuition fee hike were not mandatory, Ms. Dikshit said schools have to take their own decision though an upper limit had been fixed.

The Chief Minister said arrears would be similarly categorised and would have to be deposited by parents in two instalments.

The first instalment will have to be deposited by March 31 and the second by September 30. Schools, however, are at liberty to prescribe later dates.

Ms. Dikshit said a Grievance Redress Committee would also be set up to look into petitions filed by those schools who feel aggrieved by the suggestions. The Chief Minister said schools have also been advised to approach the committee along with their accounts within 30 days from the issue of order. As for the salaries of teachers, she said, it had been decided to release salary arrear to teachers of the 1976 recognised un-aided private schools in question in two instalments.

In the first instalment 40 per cent of the arrears would be paid in April and in the second the remaining 60 per cent would be paid in October.

Recommended for you