KERALA

No attempt made to scuttle sex scandal case: Kunhalikutty



Special Correspondent

Says social activists had approached him for favours



KOZHIKODE: Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) leader P.K. Kunhalikutty has that people close to the social activists spearheading the ice-cream parlour sex racket case have approached him for favours when he was Minister. But he was not able to meet their demand as it was beyond the resources at his command.

The IUML leader said at a news conference on Friday that he would not disclose the names of those who had demanded favours from him. "I am not going to reveal even their gender," he added. But he said he had documentary evidence to prove his charge. However, he was all remorse over the attack on mediapersons at the airport in Kozhikode. It had happened when he had reached the airport from abroad (soon after the scandal was revived by revelations of a witness, Rejina).

Mr. Kunhalikutty's remarks were in response to questions at the press conference about the order of the Kozhikode Principal Sub-Judge on Thursday acquitting the 16 accused in the case. He viewed the verdict as only one in a series of court orders on this case in the past eight years. Petitions related to the case in which he figured had been dismissed by even the Supreme Court. The Kozhikode court on Thursday also acquitted 16 others.

Refuting the charge that political clout was used to scuttle the case, Mr. Kunhalikutty said the same charge could be raised against those who had been going from one court to another to make him an accused in the case.

He also hit out at Mr. Achuthanandan for alleging that a mafia controlled Malappuram district and the Kozhikode airport.



Recommended for you