KERALA

Kunhalikutty not involved in sex racket, court told

KOCHI, DEC. 6. The Kerala High Court was today informed by the Special Public Prosecutor that the Industries Minister, P. K. Kunhalikutty, was not involved in the ice-cream parlour sex scandal case.

The Special Public Prosecutor, P. C. Iype, informed Justice K. Padmanabhan Nair that detailed investigations had been conducted on the directive of the Magistrate Court. The investigation team found that there was no corroborative evidence to connect Mr. Kunhalikutty or any other person other than the 16 accused to the crime. The investigation was ordered on a complaint filed by K. Ajitha, president of the Kozhikode-based organisation, Anweshi Women's Counselling Centre.

`No flaw in probe'

The prosecutor made these submissions when arguments resumed today on the petitions challenging the criminal proceedings pending before the Kozhikode Sessions Court. He also submitted that there was no flaw in the investigation. Even the Supreme Court, while dismissing a petition for CBI inquiry, was satisfied with the affidavit filed by the investigation officers.

He asserted that there was strong evidence against the 16 accused persons, including the former Kozhikode Mayor T.P. Dasan.

Earlier, counsel for Ms. Ajitha said the investigation had been very shoddy and alleged that those who should have been included in the array of the accused had been left out. He also argued that the State was not interested in prosecuting the accused against whom there had been sufficient material to proceed.

He reiterated that Ajitha had the locus standi to implead in the petition, as the investigation was launched on the basis of Ms. Ajitha's complaint.

The hearing in the cases would continue on Thursday.

Recommended for you