KERALA

Food poisoning: 18 students hospitalised

HOSTLERS' WOES: Kollam District Collector B. Sreenivas visiting the students who are admitted to the District Hospital with symptoms of food poisoning on Thursday.  

Staff Reporter

KOLLAM: Eighteen students who developed food poisoning symptoms were admitted to the District Hospital here on Thursday morning.

Doctors who treated them said that by afternoon all the students were declared out of danger. While 17 of them are from the Post Matric Women's Hostel, one was from the men's wing of hostel situated nearby.

The students alleged that Wednesday night's food at the hostel had led to the hospitalisation. They alleged that the food was stale and one of the girl students was hospitalised that night itself. The inmate at the men's wing had borrowed a meal packet from the women's hostel on Wednesday night. All of them were doing their graduation at various colleges here.

District Collector B. Sreenivas visited the hospital and collected details about the incident from the students and the health condition of the students from the hospital authorities.

The students told the Collector that the quality food served at the hostel was poor. Such incidents were common at the hostel. The Collector also visited the hostel.

Labour Minister Babu Divakaran and Minister for Welfare of Scheduled and Backward Communities A.P. Anil Kumar also called on the students.

Mr. Anil Kumar gave directives to the District Collector to conduct an inquiry into the incident and submit a report within the week.