Police rescue kidnapped boy

BANGALORE, APRIL 24. The Whitefield police on Friday rescued a four-year-old boy who was kidnapped from a temple on the outskirts of Bangalore on April 10.

The police arrested Trinath Roy (35) and Ajay (22) of Kolkata and Rakesh (19) of Bihar on charges of kidnapping Sonu and demanding a ransom of Rs. 5 lakh from his father, Jayaprakash Maurya, a contractor with ITPL. The police said Roy, who masterminded kidnap, was a friend of Mr. Maurya's.

According to the police, Mr. Maurya's family stays in a rented house at Pattadur Agrahara in the Whitefield Police Station limits. On April 10, Rajanna, who has rented his house to Mr. Maurya, took Sonu to a Ganesha temple in the area. The boy went missing from the temple. Subsequently, Mr. Maurya lodged a complaint with the Whitefield police.

On April 12, Mr. Maurya got a call on his mobile phone and the caller told him that Sonu was in his custody and demanded Rs. 5 lakh for his release. Mr. Maurya approached the Whitefield Police Station Sub-Inspector, Kalander Khan, who took Mr. Maurya's mobile phone and kept it with him, the police said.

The kidnappers made another call to the mobile phone and Mr. Khan introduced himself as Mr. Maurya's friend. When the caller demanded Rs. 5 lakh, Mr. Khan bargained with him and settled the "deal" for Rs. 2.50 lakh, the police said.

The kidnapper told Mr. Khan that he would call him again and specify as to whom the money had to be handed over, and where. Mr. Khan got another call from the kidnappers who asked him to bring the money to the Garudacharpalya bus stop on Whitefield Road on Friday, the police said.

Mr. Khan and his staff, who were in disguise, took Mr. Maurya to the Garudacharpalya bus stop. One of the accused, Ajay, approached Mr. Maurya and asked him whether he had brought the money. The police caught hold of him. Ajay told the police that Sonu was with Rakesh, the other accused. On instructions from the police, Ajay called Rakesh on his mobile phone and asked him to come to the bus stop with Sonu. When Ajay came there, the police arrested him and rescued the boy.

Ajay and Rakesh pointed to Ray, who had accompanied Mr. Maurya, and told the police that they had kidnapped Sonu on his instructions. Ray had gone to the Ganesha temple on April 10 and took the boy from the temple and handed him over to Ajay and Rakesh, the police said.

During interrogation, the accused reportedly told the police that they had kept Sonu in a hotel in Mysore before taking her to Rakesh's sister's house in Manchanabele in Bangalore Rural district. Rakesh had told his sister that Sonu was Ajay's nephew, the police said.

Recommended for you