Murder accused held, car seized

Staff Correspondent

MYSORE: The long arm of the law finally caught up with an alleged criminal who was lying low for two months after strangulating a person from Chennai to death and leaving the deceased's car unclaimed in the parking lot of a hospital here.

The accused walked into the trap laid by the police on Thursday when he returned to the parking lot to fetch the car.

Police said Murthy, a resident of Chennai, came to Mysore during the last week of March in his car. During his journey, Murthy allegedly had a fight with the driver, Balakrishna, and sent him back. When the car broke down in the city, he sought the help of the accused, Nagaraj, to repair the vehicle.

After earning the confidence of Murthy, Nagaraj reportedly approached him with an offer to drive him back to Chennai. He drove Murthy to a hotel on Nanjangud road for dinner, the police said. After dinner, Nagaraj allegedly strangulated Murthy, took the body to Holenarsipur and dumped it on the banks of Hemavathi on March 31.

After returning to Mysore, Nagaraj reportedly changed the number plate of the car from "TN 05 D 5213" to "CKO 9922." He drove the car into the parking lot of Mission Hospital here and left it there unclaimed for almost two months.

Police said that though Nagaraj remained underground, he kept a tab on whether his crime had come to light. After confirming that he was not being trailed, Nagaraj emerged from his lair on Thursday and went to take the car parked in the hospital.

Meanwhile, the security personnel deployed at the hospital had become suspicious about the car, which had been parked on the premises for over two months. They informed the Mandi Mohalla Police about the unclaimed car and kept a vigil on it.

When Nagaraj came to take the vehicle from the parking lot on Thursday, the personnel stopped him.

Soon, the police were alerted and Nagaraj was taken into custody.

During interrogation, it was revealed that Nagaraj had allegedly murdered Murthy for gain.

Recommended for you