KARNATAKA

Two houses catch fire in accident

Staff Correspondent

Electronic gadgets in several houses damaged



Burning coconut frond fell on the houses

Residents demand compensation for the losses





DAVANGERE: Two houses caught fire at Vivekananda Extension here on Monday when a burning coconut frond fell on them after coming in contact with a high-tension wire. Electronic equipment in 40 other houses were damaged in a power surge following the incident.

Fire-fighters rushed to the spot and controlled the fire from spreading to other houses. The police and senior officers of Bangalore Electricity Supply Company Ltd. (Bescom) also made a dash to the spot. Several residents of the area complained to Bescom officials that electronic equipment in their houses were not functioning. The officials advised them not to switch on any electronic gadget and disconnected power supply to the area. Residents blamed the Davangere City Corporation for issuing licences to build houses under high-tension wires in violation of rules. No building should be constructed within 150 metres of a high-tension wire, they said, and noted that this was the second such incident in Davangere. They demanded that the corporation clear buildings constructed under high-tension wires to prevent such accidents .

The residents also demanded compensation to them for the damaged gadgets.