KARNATAKA

Opposition seeks CBI probe into BBMP garbage clearance scam

Special Correspondent

‘No action taken against contractors, officials involved in the scam’



Task force had recommended recovery of amount paid to contractors

Blacklisting of 30 contractors demanded



BANGALORE: Opposition members in the Legislative Council on Monday demanded that the State Government order a CBI probe into the alleged irregularities to the tune of Rs. 110 crore in garbage clearance contract of the Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike.

Making a preliminary submission on the admissibility of an adjournment motion sought to be moved in this regard, Leader of the Opposition V.S. Ugrappa said only a CBI inquiry would bring out truth if there was any role played by the Chief Minister’s office or the Bangalore city in-charge Ministers in the irregularities.

Mr. Ugrappa alleged that about 30 contractors, who had been awarded garbage clearance contract by the BBMP, had claimed lead bills ( bills for transporting garbage beyond a point prescribed in the contract) to the tune of Rs. 8.84 crore from March 2007 to June 2008 though they had not transported the garbage beyond the prescribed point. They had claimed Rs. 101.95 crore for clearing the entire quantum of garbage prescribed under contract though they had only cleared 30 per cent garbage.

He noted that following a direction by the Governor, the BBMP Commissioner had constituted a task force to conduct an inquiry into the episode. The task force had detected the above irregularity and recommended recovery of full quantum of lead bills paid to contractors. It had also recommended recovery of 50 per cent of the Rs. 101.95 crore paid towards garbage clearance. But no action had been taken against the contractors or the officials involved even eight months after the task force submitted its report to the BBMP Commissioner, he alleged. He demanded blacklisting of 30 contractors and initiating criminal proceedings against the officials involved in the irregularities.

Council Chairman Veeranna Mathikatti turned down the request for allowing an adjournment motion to be moved, but said he would allow discussion on the issue on Tuesday.

Regularisation

Meanwhile, Primary and Secondary Education Minister Vishveshwara Hegde Kageri assured the Council of expediting the process of regularisation of the staff of job-oriented courses. He said he would hold consultations with Chief Minister B.S. Yeddyurappa in a bid to bring the issue before the State Cabinet. The services of about 4,120 staff were yet to be regularised.

Recommended for you