Yadav remanded to judicial custody

PUNE Sept. 26. The former Minister and TDP MLA, C. Krishna Yadav, was remanded to judicial custody by the Judicial First Class Magistrate , M.N. Bondre, here on Friday following a submission by the Special Investigation Team, which is probing the fake stamp paper scam, that he was not required for further interrogation.

Official sources were tight-lipped on this turn of events, but it is learnt that the SIT "found no further use of his remand in their custody." Public prosecutor Paphlikar, appearing on behalf of the SIT, told The Hindu that the progress of the probe was satisfactory. "We got what all we could get from him. There is no need for us to plead for his remand in our custody in future too," he said.

Mr. Yadav was expected to be produced in the court at 2.30 pm, but the SIT officials were closeted with him till the last moment and brought him to the court at 4.35 pm. The investigating officer of the SIT, Wakhade and the senior public prosecutor, Raj Thackeray, were not present and Yadav was accompanied by junior officials.

Following the submission of the public prosecutor, Yadav was sent to Yerawada prison till October 10. Another accused and the alleged link between the kingpin, Abdul Kareem Telgi and Yadav, Abdul Waheed, was also sent to the judicial remand. He would be sent back to the Bangalore prison where from his transfer for interrogation was sought by the SIT officials.

The Magistrate, however, deferred the plea of defence counsel, Sudhir Shah, to permit the MLA to attend the ongoing Assembly session in Andhra Pradesh. The former posted the plea to Monday to hear the say of the investigating officer and the public prosecutor. Meanwhile, Mr Sudhir Shah was asked to file papers citing relevant instances of such permissions accorded earlier.

A large number of the former Minister's supporters staged a silent demonstration outside the court premises displaying black badges pleading their leader's innocence. Speaking to reporters later, a much-relieved Yadav said he had complete faith in the judiciary and was sure of his acquittal very soon. The SIT was interested in connecting him to Telgi, but he had steadfastly refused any link.

He said that his interrogation at Bangalore was also revolving around the questions on his links with Telgi, the money that changed hands and the modus operandi adopted by them.

Recommended for you