ANDHRA PRADESH

Victim's family up in arms against `annalu'

Staff Reporter

ANANTAPUR: In a first of its kind protest in the district against the Maoists, a family victimised by the Maoists recently, along with about 30 other women of Narsimpalli village of Bukkapatnam mandal launched an indefinite hunger strike at the mandal headquarters on Saturday seeking justice from the naxalites.

N. Sainath Reddy (40), a fair price shop dealer and a follower of the Congress legislator of Gorantla, P. Ravindra Reddy, was shot dead by Maoists outside the village on April 9 night, after taking him along with them on the pretext of discussing about giving compensation to a few poor hut-dwellers who had lost their homes in a fire mishap earlier.

The wife of Sainath Reddy, N. Kalavati, his son, Jagadeeswar Reddy, who appeared for SSC exam recently, and his daughter, Srilekha, studying fifth standard, and about 30 other women of the village erected a tent right opposite the MRO office and police station complex at Bukkapatnam on Saturday demanding an explanation from the Maoists on the killing of Sainath Reddy.

"If my husband was a police informer, how many Maoists did he helped the police nab or got killed," Ms. Kalavati sought to know from the Maoists. They should reveal the details or else should apologise to their family unconditionally, she demanded.

Recollecting those fateful moments of April 9 night Ms. Kalavati stated that she had prepared and served food to the Maoists, not aware of their intentions of killing her husband minutes later. "They ruined our family by killing my husband and leaving us destitutes," she said. The police and elected representatives also owe an answer to their family, the widow of Sainath Reddy said. The MRO of Bukkapatnam, Ramakantha Rao, said they had already written to the Government for help. Hunger strike in front of MRO office

Recommended for you