Huge haul of weapons in Adilabad

ADILABAD NOV. 13. In a major setback to the banned People's War, the Adilabad district police on Wednesday recovered huge cache of arms and ammunition from the Morripeta forest area under Utnoor police station limits.

The Adilabad Superintendent of Police, Mahesh Muralidhar Bhagwat, told reporters this evening that the special party police had been on a look out for arms and ammunition belonging to the People's Guerrilla Army, ever since three exchanges of fire took place with the extremists on a single day in June this year.

The police during that time got a tip off that the naxals were preparing for a major military training camp in the Morripeta forest area.

A Jana Natya Mandali member, Ade Jugath Rao alias Diwakar, was killed in that encounter and the police recovered some weapons. In continuation of the search, the police parties came across the huge cache of weapons today.

Police recovered 13 weapons, including one SLR and one 410 musket, eight DBBL guns, one SBBL weapon, one .45 short weapon and a tapancha besides three grenades. Seven kit bags, empty cartridges and .22 live bullets were also recovered.

Police also laid hands on spare parts of weapons understood to have been stored to repair the firearms. Striker, springs, locking piece, washer, wooden handles, punch, drill, grenade liver, grenade igniter, set base plugs were recovered.

The police found a grenade discharger cup. This particular instrument is fixed to a 303 rifle to launch grenades. Party literature was seized by the police party.

Exchange of fire

By Our Correspondent

MAHABUBNAGAR, Nov.13. There was an exchange of fire between naxalites of the People's War and the police for about 20 minutes this morning in the forests near Mallapur village of Amarabad mandal in the district. However, no casualty was reported.

According to information reaching here, police teams combing the area came across a group of naxalites -- around eight to nine -- of the Achampet dalam at around 9.15 a.m. Noticing the police, the naxals opened fire which was retaliated by the former.

The naxalites managed to escape into the forest after exchanging fire for a few minutes. Police recovered two 8 mm pistol rounds, four 303 rounds, 12 detonators including landmines, two tents, medical kits, eight water bottles and literature from the site.

Recommended for you