Bar staff confess they mixed chemical in liquor

December 09, 2015 12:00 am | Updated March 24, 2016 02:39 pm IST - Vijayawada:

During interrogation, the arrested bar staff reportedly confessed that they mixed some chemical in the liquor served to customers in the bar on Monday. However, they could not name the chemical.

“We are trying to find out on whether the chemical was mixed with the knowledge of the owners and from where it was procured,” the official said.

Doctors treating the victims and Prohibition & Excise officials suspect that the liquor served in Swarna Restaurant and Bar was laced with some poison or a high dose of chemicals, resulting in the death of five persons. “If methanol is mixed in liquor, it would cause blurred vision, vomiting, diarrhoea and a reeling sensation. But in this case the victims died in just a few minutes and some fell unconscious after coming out of the bar. We suspect that some poison or a highly concentrated chemical was mixed in the liquor,” said Prohibition & Excise commissioner M.K. Meena.

Twenty teams, headed by Krishna district deputy commissioner (prohibition & excise) Y. B. Bhaskar Rao, conducted raids and seized samples from liquor shops and bars in the district on Tuesday.

Top News Today


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.