Another tourist draw in Medak

AWAITING VISITORS: The fort in Medak could become a tourist attraction if it is properly maintained and illuminated.  

Staff Reporter

Medak: With proper upkeep and illumination, the magnificent fort on the west side of Medak town, known for its diocese church and Pocharam wild life sanctuary, could become another tourist attraction.

The Tourism Department has identified the fort for development as a tourist spot under the Medak-Nizambad circuit. Kakatiya rulers built the fort on a 300-ft hill and in later years, the Sultans of Golconda developed it.

The main arch of the port adorn two roaring lions a symbol of the Kakatiya architecture. The steps that lead the tourist to the top of the hill are steep but still intact. Four cannons made out of a mixture of metals could be seen placed on the four sides of the fort.

In the absence of an approach road, visitors would have a tough time searching for the rocky pathway amid closely built households on the footsteps of the hill.

With the Archaeology Department withdrawing the man who used to register names of the visitors, there is no chance for an outsider to know the legend of the place.

Available literature on the fort indicates that the fort has influences of both Kakatiya and Muslim architectures. But some of the artefacts found on the hill showed similarities with that of the 11th century Satavahana style sculptures found in the excavation sites of Kondapur, near Sangareddy.

The fort was under the rule of Allauddin Khilji from 1309 and Malik Gaffoor was in charge of the fort. The Bahamanis and the Qutbshahis also ruled the region from this fort.