ANDHRA PRADESH

NDMA plans Australian model of ICS

Staff Reporter

Indian team tours New South Wales, Canberra to study Incident Command System



ICS said to be best responsive system to tackle any kind of disasters in the world

Australian government using high technology, involving community to prevent damage



NELLORE: The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) is planning to implement the Incident Command System (ICS), which is being followed by Australia to handle natural disasters. ICS is said to be the best responsive system to tackle any kind of disasters in the world.

As part of it, an 11-member team, including three Collectors from Andhra Pradesh, Assam and Maharashtra, Commissioner (Relief) and staff from MC HRD, toured New South Wales and Canberra in Australia from January 11 to 22 to study the ICS.

Preventing loss

The team, headed by NDMA member S.K.Sinha, studied the project and observed the systems being followed by Australian government to prevent human and property losses during natural calamities. The officers were enlightened on tackling different types of incidents on air, water and on land through ICS which was being implemented in Australia for the past 25 years.

Members of the study team visited various places and demonstrations and observed on how the ICS authorities controlled losses in the incidents occurred during the past few years. The team members observed that the Australian government was using high technology and involving the community in large numbers to prevent damages during disasters.

Speaking to The Hindu, Sri Potti Sriramulu Nellore district Collector K. Ram Gopal, who was in the study team, said in India the government should allot more funds and increase public involvement to prevent losses.

Alert centres

Continuous training is needed for officers and people involved in disaster management and relief and rehabilitation operations and more cyclone and tsunami alert centres should be set up to caution the villagers.

The team observed that the Australian government was allotting unlimited funds for ICS and 70 per cent of the amount was being utilized for organising training programmes to the volunteers involved in the project, providing fire tenders, helicopters, ambulances and boats with latest equipment, and the remaining 30 per cent of the funds were being used for prevention of losses.

Public involved in the project would have to undergo compulsory training for one day a week on the Incident Command System in Australia and rush to the spot and take up prevention, relief and rehabilitation operations before the arrival of official machinery. The team would soon submit a report to the Government of India on the observations of ICS in Australia, the Collector said.

Recommended for you