ANDHRA PRADESH

Fire reduces footwear shop to ashes

Staff Reporter

Stocks worth Rs. 25 lakhs gutted

HYDERABAD: Fire broke out in a footwear shop, inaugurated four days ago at Abids, gutting entire stocks and furniture worth nearly Rs. 25 lakhs in the wee hours of Saturday.

A carpenter Rajesh Sahani, 27, who got trapped inside, was rescued by personnel of Abids police station located next to the shop.

Nearly 12 fire tenders, scores of firemen and policemen had to struggle for over three hours to douse the flames using 30 tankers of water supplied by Gunfoundry division of water works department.

Three-storeyed

Sahani of Uttar Pradesh had been working in `Lifestyle Footwear' shop for the past couple of months and slept on the first floor of the three-storeyed shop building on Friday night after completing some pending work. Around 3.30 a.m., he noticed smoke emanating from the main power switchboard.

"Within seconds, the smoke transformed into flames. I tried to put them out with a bucket of water but to no avail," the Abids police quoted Sahani as saying. Frightened, the carpenter ran upstairs and started screaming for help.

Abids Sub-Inspector K. Shankar and other constables hurled a rope from the top of their building to the terrace of the shop building.

Sahani slid to safety by the rope.

By then, fire spread to the entire building. Police believe short circuit led to the fire accident.