In the largest evacuation as part of Operation Raahat so far, three Air India flights airlifted 488 people from Sana’a to Djibouti while naval patrol vessel INS Sumitra rescued 203 people, including 19 foreign nationals from eight countries, from Ash Shihr via Al Muqalla port.
India secured a four-hour window for evacuation from Sana’a on Sunday.
Meanwhile, late on Sunday two Air Force C-17s with 452 passengers landed in Mumbai while an Air India AI-777 with 352 passengers landed in Kochi.
In addition, the civilian liners Kavaratti and Corals , with a total capacity of 1100 passengers, have reached Djibouti on Sunday afternoon and will join in the evacuation, officials said.
Op Raahat is now a global endeavour with nationals from several countries evacuated by India; INS Mumbai on Saturday evacuated 179 people from 17 countries from Aden.
“Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam - The world is a family…” tweeted Syed Akbaruddin, External Affairs Ministry spokesperson.
Aden evacuation over
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj meanwhile said the evacuation from Aden, which is witnessing heavy fighting between the warring sides, is now over. “The evacuation from Aden is complete - thanks to Indian Navy,” she tweeted.
The Minister also turned down criticism that India had delayed its response, reminding citizens and netizens alike that India had issued three advisories — the first one as early as January — asking Indians to leave.
In another tweet, Ms. Swaraj said: “My colleague General V. K. Singh who is shuttling between Sana’a and Djibouti is sparing no effort in accomplishing this difficult task.”
As situation worsens and the anxiety of stranded citizens and their awaiting families mounts, Twitter continues to be the primary link between those stranded and the government to disseminate information.