NATIONAL

I&B Ministry notice to India TV for "sting operation"

NEW DELHI, MARCH 24. The Union Information and Broadcasting Ministry has issued a show-cause notice to India TV why action should not be taken against the channel for telecasting a "sting operation" which caught two Bihar legislators in a compromising position with alleged call girls.

The notice was issued earlier this week. The Chief Executive Officer of India TV, Rajat Sharma, told The Hindu that "we have given a reply for their consideration."

Taking cognisance of the "sting operation" footage that was beamed several times on February 27, the Ministry said that it had "offended good taste and decency." Further, according to the Ministry, it "was obscene and likely to corrupt public morality and was not suited for unrestricted public exhibition." Acting on complaints received from various quarters and responding to the mounting criticism of "sting operations" using hidden cameras, the Ministry has taken recourse to provisions in the Cable Television Networks Regulation Act and Programme Code.

Exercising the powers conferred on it by the Act and the Code, the Ministry has also prohibited the transmission of Cineworld channel for 30 days for showing "objectionable content."

Recommended for you