NATIONAL

Chinese intrusions declined by 10% this year, says official

There has been a 10% decline in the number of Chinese transgressions this year, a senior government official told The Hindu .

The official said the presence of Chinese troops along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) has also reduced by around 30%. The manpower has been substituted with powerful surveillance equipment, he said.

Minister of State for Defence Subhash Bhamre informed the Rajya Sabha on February 5 that the number of transgressions was 426 in 2017.

The official claimed that the transgressions dropped after the 73-day standoff between the Indian Army and the Chinese People’s Liberation Army at Doklam on the China-Sikkim-Bhutan tri-junction near Nathu La last year. “The transgressions continue to take place due to the difference in perception of the actual boundary. But after Doklam, the diplomatic manoeuvring and dialogue with the counterparts at the border ensured there was no steep increase,” he said.

According to him, there was enhanced cooperation along the China border and many incidents were not being reported.

Sorting out disputes

“There are many incidents of border transgressions that are not being recorded by both sides. If it’s reported, then it becomes part of the official record. The troops on both sides are communicating more and sorting out the differences,” said the official.

As per an internal report accessed by The Hindu , from August 1-19, as many as 19 incidents of transgressions were reported, out of which 13 were in the Leh sector.

At least three intrusions were reported in Leh, Uttarakhand’s Barahoti and the strategically sensitive Asaphila in Arunachal Pradesh on August 15 when the two armies held a special Border Personnel Meeting at Nathu La in Sikkim.

An analysis of the report reveals that the transgressions are anywhere from 300 metres to 19 km in the Indian territory.

The official claimed that there were only 10-12 locations along the China border which saw dispute.