China fires back at U.S. allegations

February 15, 2021 12:00 am | Updated 03:46 am IST - BEIJING

China fired back at the U.S. on Sunday over allegations from the White House that Beijing withheld some information about the COVID-19 outbreak from World Health Organization (WHO) investigators.

In a statement on Saturday, White House National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan said Washington had “concerns about the way in which the early findings of the COVID-19 investigation were communicated”.

“It is imperative that this report be independent,” he said, referring to the WHO mission investigating the origins of the pandemic in Wuhan. China responded on Sunday with a statement from its Washington Embassy that said the U.S. had already “gravely damaged international cooperation on COVID-19” and was now “pointing fingers at other countries who have been faithfully supporting the WHO and at the WHO itself”.

Top News Today

Comments

Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.

We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.