Today's Paper

Second case of coronavirus infection confirmed in Kerala

Stringent checks:Indian nationals being screened at the Delhi airport on Sunday on their arrival from Wuhan.PTIPTI

Stringent checks:Indian nationals being screened at the Delhi airport on Sunday on their arrival from Wuhan.PTIPTI  

India suspends e-visas for travellers from China

India’s second case of the novel coronavirus (nCoV) infection was confirmed in Alappuzha, Kerala, after a student, admitted to the isolation ward of the Government Medical College, tested positive on Sunday.

Officials in Kerala said that a total of eight suspected cases had been admitted to isolation wards at the Government Medical College Hospital and General Hospital in Alappuzha.

Health Minister K.K. Shylaja said, “One more confirmed case of nCoV has been reported in the State. The patient is stable. At present, there are four people, including the affected person, in the isolated ward at the Government Medical College Hospital. Of them, three have been returned recently from Wuhan. The other suspected case is a relative of one of them. We are awaiting the medical test reports of other suspected cases. Majority of those in observation in the district are in house quarantine.”

Travel curbs

Following the Alappuzha case, the government temporarily suspended the e-visa facility for Chinese and foreigners residing in China. Indian citizens have been asked to refrain from travel to China and warned that in case of travel on return from China, they could be quarantined. A statement issued by the Union Health Ministry said: “Anyone with travel history in China since January 15, 2020, and from now on could be quarantined.”

The Indian Embassy in Beijing tweeted that owing to the current developments, travel to India on e-visas stood temporarily suspended.

Recommended for you