Today's Paper

'SARS being monitored'

NEW DELHI APRIL 9. The Centre today outlined the series of steps taken by it to prevent the entry of the killer disease — severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) — into the country and isolate and treat a case, if reported.

In an identical statement in both Houses of Parliament, the Union Health Minister, Sushma Swaraj, said of the two cases reported in the media, that of 18-year-old Purushotam was not found to be a case of SARS, while the other of the U.S. national, Rebecca Raleigh, was being investigated.

She said SARS had emerged in some countries in epidemic proportions and as on April 7, a cumulative total of 2,601 cases and 98 deaths had been reported by the WHO from 17 countries.

The situation was being monitored on a day-to-day basis, Ms. Swaraj said adding that the WHO-recommended case definition had been circulated to all airports/ports, health organisations, Central Government hospitals, the Civil Aviation Ministry, the Airports Authority of India and the State/UT health authorities along with patient management protocols.