Today's Paper

Deletion of Nanda's name from voters' list wrong: EC

Suresh Nanda (second from left), BJP dissidents' nominee for the Rajya Sabha, coming out of the Returning Officer's room in Lucknow on Saturday. Promod Tiwari of the Congress is seen at extreme right and next to him is Lalji Tandon, BJP leader. Mr. Nanda was reportedly manhandled during the scrutiny of papers. -- Photo: Subir Roy

Suresh Nanda (second from left), BJP dissidents' nominee for the Rajya Sabha, coming out of the Returning Officer's room in Lucknow on Saturday. Promod Tiwari of the Congress is seen at extreme right and next to him is Lalji Tandon, BJP leader. Mr. Nanda was reportedly manhandled during the scrutiny of papers. -- Photo: Subir Roy  

New Delhi Nov. 9. The Election Commission today said the deletion of the name of Suresh Nanda — arms dealer and Rajya Sabha nominee of the Bharatiya Janata Party rebels in Uttar Pradesh — from the voters list in Ghaziabad was wrong and cleared the way for taking cognisance of the withdrawal of his nomination papers.

Sources said that following a complaint from Mr. Nanda, a Secretary of the Election Commission was sent to Ghaziabad to make an inquiry, which found that his entry in the electoral roll was ``correct'' and its subsequent cancellation ``wrong.'' The findings were being passed on to the Returning Officer to go ahead with the scrutiny of papers, which had been stayed pending the inquiry.

Earlier, reports from Lucknow said that Mr. Nanda had complained to the Election Commission saying that there was a design by "vested interests" to get his nomination papers rejected by getting his name deleted from the voters list in Ghaziabad, the Secretary to the Uttar Pradesh Assembly, R. P. Pandey, told newspersons.

Mr. Nanda, who was allegedly roughed up by the legislators in the Secretary's cabin earlier, also submitted in writing that he was withdrawing his nomination papers, Mr. Pandey said adding that the cognisance of the withdrawal would be taken only after the Election Commission completed its inquiry.

Mr. Nanda, while submitting his withdrawal papers, said that since he was withdrawing from the contest there was no need to reply to the objections raised over his nomination papers. He denied reports that some persons had manhandled him and said that he was, in fact, taken to a secure place by the Urban Development Minister, Lalji Tandon, and the Congress leader, Pramod Tewari.

Sources, however, said that Mr. Nanda was roughed up by BJP leader, Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, also a Rajya Sabha nominee, and his supporters. The incident allegedly took place when Mr. Nanda was submitting documents to Mr. Pandey in connection with objections raised over his nomination filed on Friday.

It was alleged that the voters list submitted by Mr. Nanda with his papers was "fake" and that he was not a resident of Uttar Pradesh. And that his name was still in the voters list of Delhi.

Mr. Nanda claimed that his jumping into the electoral fray had vitiated the atmosphere. He was withdrawing in the "best interest of peace and tranquillity." — PTI

Recommended for you