Today's Paper

Centre nod to CBI probe in Sushant case

The Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) on Wednesday issued a notification allowing the transfer of Sushant Singh Rajput death case to the CBI on a reference from the Bihar government.

“The CBI has received the DoPT notification. Accordingly, the agency will take up the investigation,” said an agency official.

The Bihar government had recommended the CBI probe amid allegations that a State police officer who had gone to Mumbai to supervise the investigation was deliberately quarantined there.

Rhea summoned by ED

Bollywood actor Rhea Chakraborty, who is the main accused in the case alleging abetment to suicide, criminal conspiracy and cheating, has been summoned by the Enforcement Directorate to record her statement in Mumbai on Friday. Her chartered accountant is expected to appear again before the probe team on Thursday.

The ED on Wednesday recorded the statement of Samuel Miranda, the house manager for Sushant. It is alleged that Mr. Miranda was hired at the instance of Ms. Chakraborty.

Earlier in the day, the Centre informed the Supre-me Court that it has agreed to accept the Bihar government’s recommendation for CBI probe. The Maharashtra government countered the Centre before a Single Bench of Justice Hrishikesh Roy, saying the case is being used to score political brownie points.

Justice Roy told Maharashtra that quarantining the Bihar police team in Mumbai when all eyes are on the case “does not send a good message”.

Recommended for you