Today's Paper

Three accused in Vyas case acquitted

Staff Reporter

Prosecution could not produce any evidence against them

Only 19 of the 67 listed witnessed produced before the court

IPS officer K.S. Vyas shot dead in L.B. Stadium on January 27, 1993

HYDERABAD: Three persons accused of involvement in the assassination of IPS officer K.S. Vyas were acquitted of the charge by a local court here on Thursday.

Trial of the case, however, would continue against the other accused, including surrendered naxalite Nayeemuddin facing a host of other criminal cases.

The Second Additional Metropolitan Sessions Judge of Criminal Courts, Nampally, acquitted M. Sheshaih, his wife M. Narsamma and Tirupati Balaiah numbered as accused 14, 15 and 18 as the prosecution could not produce any evidence against them.

Out of the 67 listed witnesses, the prosecution could present only 19 before the court. T. L. Nayan Kumar, counsel for Balaiah, said even investigating officer of the case, Syed Mohammed Ali Ahmed, who retired during trial of the case and is presently living abroad, did not depose evidence. None of the ‘panch’ witnesses attended the court.

He maintained nothing of the material seized by police in the case was produced before the court.

“Even summons to the accused sometimes were sent by post inviting wrath of the judge,” the advocate remarked. Out of the 21 accused persons, seven got killed in police encounters subsequently.

Becomes approver

One of the accused persons, K. Sammaiah, a naxalite who surrendered and became approver, died after he accidentally fell down while boarding a flight in Sri Lanka. Mr. Vyas, who was instrumental in setting up Greyhounds -- the elite anti-extremist operations force (known as STF then) -- was shot dead by alleged naxalites while jogging at the L.B. Stadium here on the evening of January 27, 1993.

A Deputy Inspector General then, Mr. Vyas was on the hit list of Left wing extremists for carrying out several operations against them.

His wife Aruna Vyas and another IPS officer, V. Dinesh Reddy, were inside the stadium when a naxalite team shot him dead.

Recommended for you