Today's Paper

Antulay issue must be “allowed to rest”

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh addressing journalists outside Parliament House in New Delhi on Tuesday.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh addressing journalists outside Parliament House in New Delhi on Tuesday.   | Photo Credit: — Photo: PTI / Shahbaz Khan

Special Correspondent

NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday said the Antulay matter should be “allowed to rest.”

Dr. Singh was replying to queries of reporters outside the Parliament House on the controversy over remarks of Minister for Minority Affairs A.R. Antulay on the death of the former Maharashtra ATS chief Hemant Karkare during the terror attack in Mumbai on November 26. Mr. Antulay had been under attack by the BJP-led Opposition, who demanded his resignation from the Cabinet. The controversy witnessed disruptions in both Houses since last week.

“I think to err is human. The matter should be allowed to rest,” the Prime Minister said in his first comments on the Antulay controversy after the sine die adjournment of the Parliament session.

Dr. Singh said Home Minister P Chidamabaram’s detailed statement had put to rest any doubts on the killing of Karkare. “The Home Minister has categorically stated that any doubts he [Antulay] had, have no basis.”

“Mr. Antulay has also subsequently made a statement and I think on the basis of both the statements [of Mr. Chidambaram and Mr. Antulay], the matter should be allowed to rest,” Dr. Singh said.

Echoing similar views, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee told reporters outside Parliament House that Mr. Antulay had clarified and the chapter should be treated as closed.

>Home Minister's statement on death of Hemant Karkare

Related links





Recommended for you